Foreign affairs

Dear Lady L,
I am currently travelling in Europe and a friend emailed me about your site. Really interesting. Anyhow, I want your opinion on something.
I am single and consider myself fairly normal, yet I've always found myself attracted to a certain type of guy. It always ends up the same though. I go out with a guy for awhile and find out he's just like any other guy!
The type I go for almost always has some other girl in the picture, too.
You see, I always like a guy who's mysterious or foreign, with an accent. Why does this turn me on so much? I always get fooled into sleeping with these guys. They hit on me with that accent and I just melt.
I came to Europe to see why my little thing was so influencing my dating life. I know a guy I dated here in Italy, so I emailed him that I was coming over. No email back. He left the U.S. promising to see me as soon as he could, then I come over here and I get radio silence. So I go out with a guy I meet here, and he won't even take me home. He wants to have sex with me in the park, in his tiny car, or at my hotel. I asked if he had a girlfriend and he said no, he only dates American women. What's up with that? Also, I'm starting to be homesick, and starting to not like foreign guys. They seem arrogant and rude to other people, and don't treat me very well.
Any ideas?
Janet

Hi Janet. You have to realize the context which you are in right now. It seems you have a streak of adventure in your style, and that could lead you to be attracted to these foreign types while you are at home. It's like travelling to another place without actually going. A liason with this type kind of transports you to another world.
The truth is, I find alot of foreign guys are on the make for American women. We live in a country that has loose morals and no protocols for dating, sex and marriage. We also have a robust economy that a green card would be a wonderful ticket to. They know when they're over here they have a better chance to score with their "exoticness". When you get over there, you see that they are just like everybody else, except with smaller cars.
That guy you are or were seeing sounds like he lives with his mother. Could be she doesn't want an American slut in her house. Of course you're not a slut, but that what she thinks of us. And he's a notorious Italian stallion MOMMY BOY.
Things loose their luster when they become reality rather than fantasy. I personally steer clear of the foreign types, but I had a little phase that went exactly like yours. It was all exciting until I pulled back the magic curtain. And just problems after that. You'll change, Janet, and be back home with the boys here soon.