Meow mix at work

Hi Lady L,
I have this problem at work. I got a new job and things went fairly well for the first few months. I was happy with the new job.
I made some new girlfriends at work, and they seemed really nice. I started to go out with them and stuff, which was fun. (I didn't have very many girlfriends.) Then things went a little crazy.
I was dating a sweet guy when I got the job, but all the excitement and possibilities with the job, plus my new girlfriends, made us grow distant. I soon found myself going home with a guy I met while at a "work" party. My boyfriend smelled this and stopped calling.
Then things got ugly. The new girlfriends started having their own little problems, nobody getting in any relationships, competition for guys when we are out, backstabbing, all sorts of stuff. One girl who I thought was sweet and became close with turned out to be amazingly manipulative. I guess I got wrapped up in this, and now I have regrets. My old boyfriend who I love won't even return my calls. My new girlfriends, I realize, are acting like high school girls, and now we are tramping around like a floozies, something I thought I shook a long time ago. I want to be friends with my old boyfriend, but I just can't seem to connect. Or, I want to meet a guy that will take me away from all this.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Harriet

Hi Harriet. Well, you got yourself into the situation, you can get yourself out. It sounds like you are unhappy with where you are in life in general, and the new job was an opportunity to change. I think it is common to want girlfriends when we don't have them, but you have to be careful who you associate with. Misery loves company, and girls who are not in good relationships tend to be VERY jealous of those who are. This leads to mutual destruction alot of times, with emptiness and depression following. Then hope is waiting around the corner after the dust settles, with the cinderella complex (where's my prince?) setting in, Rakes and pickup artists spot this a mile off, especially if they spot a group of girls out from "work". I've seen this same rundown many times, Harriet. Go out with them less and less, then gradually drift back to the guy you loved, if you want. If he's up for it, (give him and you some time), and you are up for it, jump his bones while giving the middle finger to the new "girlfriends". Or, find a guy you can click with that is away from this crowd. (but read "Don't Bet on the Prince" first. Educate yourself.) Watch out for this herd mentality, it holds us back from being a true liberated independent woman. Hope this helps.